Assignment 1: Some patients reject receiving blood as a treatment even in life-threatening situations, like Jehovah’s Witnesses. They will not accept blood and most blood products for themselves and their children for religious reasons. This refusal poses both ethical and medical problems. Discuss the following SCIENTIFICALLY: 1. If you agree with Jehovah’s Witnesses beliefs, discuss why would they refuse a blood transfusion? 2. If you disagree with their beliefs, how would you convince a Jehovah’s Witness that a blood transfusion is sometimes the only solution for saving a life? 3. What are other alternatives available instead of blood transfusion for Jehovah’s Witnesses patients? Paper Writing Guidelines ï‚· 12 pt., Times New Roman. ï‚· Double Spaced 1.5 ï‚· One-inch margins ï‚· 750 words. ï‚· Numbered reference style. ï‚· Include your full name, group number, and student number on the cover sheet of your assignment. (Most importantly: PLAGIRISIM AND COPYING ARE NOT ALLOWEDâ€¦ Please show originality while writing the assignment) Your paper MUST include the following: ï‚· Title: Choose a clear, informative, original, and concise title that describes the assignment ï‚· Introduction: This should set the scene for the assignment. It might include a historical perspective, signpost the general themes of the essay or present a hypothesis to be examined. ï‚· Methods and Materials: This section should illustrate the different methods you are discussing, please try to be brief while writing it. ï‚· Results: This section should demonstrate the information you found around the topic you were given, for example, list the advantages and disadvantages between said methods. ï‚· Discussion: This section should include your opinion and concluding thoughts on the subject. For example, start the section by explaining thoroughly the advantages and disadvantages while offering your opinion on each point, then give a brief conclusion highlighting the most important findings of the assignment. ï‚· References: Follow the instructions and use these links to assist you in referencing (numbered reference/Vancouver style): https://guides.lib.monash.edu/citing-referencing/vancouver https://guides.lib.monash.edu/citing-referencing/vancouver-intext References that may help (DO NOT RELY ON THESE ONLY, expand and include new references): Bodnaruk ZM, et al. Meeting the clinical challenge of care for Jehovahâ€™s Witnesses. Transfus Med Rev, 2004; 105: 16. Gohel, MS, et al. How to approach major surgery where patients refuse blood transfusion (including Jehovahâ€™s Witnesses). Ann R Coll Surg Engl, 2005; 3â€“14. How Can Blood Save Your Life? Quality Alternatives to Transfusion: https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/blood/quality-alternatives-to- transfusion/
1. A young male, is afflicted with a muscle wasting disease. His mother’s two brothers also had the disease. No other family members (his father, his father’s relatives, his mother, or his mother’s female relatives) have the disease. Is this muscle wasting disease (A) autosomal or sex-linked, and (B) dominant or recessive? Defend your answers.
2. Your friend is consuming a wide variety of medications. Because of a very bad drug interaction, the secretion of both antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone is suddenly increased. How will these two hormones modify water and sodium reuptake by the kidney and the volume of your friend’s urine output? Explain your answer. Page 11 of 11
3. Explain why the role of oxytocin in labor is an example of positive feedback. Do any other roles of oxytocin exhibit this same principle?
4. List the four classic symptoms of inflammation and describe the biologic cause of each.
5. Draw/diagram a Punnett square in which, upper case Hh represents two sets of genes (alleles) for a female with hazel eyes, Hazel eyes female and lower case hh represents two sets of genes (alleles) for a brown-eyes male. Note that upper case H represents a dominant trait— hazel eyes and lower-case h represents the recessive trait—brown eyes. In this scenario, the female is hazel-eyed in appearance (phenotype) and the male is browneyed in appearance (phenotype). i) Given that the female carries both genes (alleles), that is H and h, for hazel eyes, explain why her appearance is hazel eyes. ii) Next, draw a Punnett square for the offspring that could be produced from the union of this female Hh and this male hh. iii) After drawing the Punnett square, discuss the phenotypes (appearances) of the fourrepresentative offspring whose genotypes are provided in the Punnett Square.
Noblepapers.com is a unique service that provides guidance with different types of content. Please rest assured that the service is absolutely legal and doesn’t violate any regulations and therefore you are safe.
+1 (985) 401 7713