Discussion: Treatment of Co-Occurring Disorders
A major issue that influences diagnoses of addiction are co-occurring disorders. There has been a long-standing debate over which is primary—the addiction or the other mental disorder. Addiction issues may receive limited clinical attention, or else they are not acknowledged at all. How do you suppose an addictions professional could provide limited clinical attention to such a client?
For this Discussion, consider the impact of co-occurring on treatment of addiction in individuals.
Provide a discussion post which details the following content topics and headings:
· A description of two co-occurring disorders (Anxiety and Depression) that are commonly seen in individuals who use substances.
· Explain how the co-occurring disorders may present challenges to treatment for people with problems with addiction.
· Explain the best protocol in treating clients with co-occurring disorders.
Use scholarly, peer-reviewed resources to support your post.
At least 300 words not including references and citations.
Must contain at least 3 references from different sources. Be sure to reference:
Capuzzi, D., & Stauffer, M. D. (2016). Foundations of addictions counseling (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Chapter 13, ” Maintenance and Relapse Prevention” (pp. 285-302)
- Chapter 15, “Persons With Disabilities and Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders” (pp. 238-352).
SAMHSA‐HRSA. (2015). Core competencies for peer workers in behavioral health services. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.