Imagine that you are a crime analyst. You will be creating a geographic crime map that spans three years of crime data.
You will create a CSV file, using an excel document, saved as a CSV file. To build the CSV file you will need to do the following:
- Go to the LexisNexis Community Crime Map site: http://communitycrimemap.com/
- Choose a crime you would like to search. (e.g., theft, robbery, arson).
- Select a geographic area that has 5-10 instances of the specific crime you selected, which occurred in each of the 3 years preceding last year (e.g., if you are taking this course in 2018, then you would search for the specific crime in 2014, 2015, and 2016). NOTE: you want to use a geographic area with a small data set, e.g., a city of a million or more people would likely have a large data set.
- Identify 5-10 instances of the crime for each of the 3 years. Click on the icon of the crime incident to ascertain the crime data. For a tutorial on using the crime map, watch the video from the Madison Police department explaining its use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c09YubbaD8&feature=youtu.be
- Using the excel spreadsheet that you will save as a CSV file, create the following columns and input your crime data you have gathered from the crime map:
- IR number (“ID” in CSV file)
- Name of Crime (“class” in CSV file)
- The date and time the crime occurred (“Events time” in CSV file). You must enter the date and time in the following format: yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss
- Latitude of crime location (“Point y” in CSV file)
- Longitude of crime location (“Point x” in the CSV file)
NOTE: Access the “How to find Latitude and Longitude” document in the Topic 5 Topic Materials as a resource for this assignment.
Conduct analysis on the geographic data using the techniques from the assigned readings. Write a 3 page summary on the analysis of the data.
Be sure to cite three to five relevant scholarly sources in support of your content.
Utilize the Hunchlab website as a resource for the Topic 5 assignments.
Utilize the ArcGIS website as a resource for the Topic 5 assignments.
Utilize the Maptitude website as a resource for the Topic 5 assignments.